Saturday, January 16, 2010

Moving Forward

I'm sitting in my home office waiting for the FedEx delivery guy to drop of my newly minted Saudi visa this Saturday morning in January.  For some reason the visa makes everything real.  I guess it's because everyone has told me, "don't do anything until you get the visa".  Don't give notice at your job, don't initiate shipping anything over, don't make travel arrangements.......   Now all that will happen and there is no turning back.  It''s kind of ironic that I found out yesterday at my current job that, in our practically annual reorganization, I have a new manager.  So to whom do I give notice?  I've also been contacted by two different headhunters this week regarding other job opportunities.  I have not heard from anyone in 15 months and now two in one week.  Go figure.  

My soon to be new boss at KAUST has been sending me some info and asking me to weigh in on some decisions being made there.  It's a fascinating transition, having a mental foot on both sides of the world, and not an entirely comfortable one.  I've been looking at issues of electricity this week and sadly discovering that many of my smaller appliances won't work in KSA.  Desktop stereo, radio, wireless router, cordless phone, computer speakers..........one never considers these incompatibilities until faced with their impact.  I guess I'll be buying new in KSA or living without.  I have acquired several plug adapters for those dual voltage items I can take along.  I think the convenience I'll miss the most is my Keurig single cup coffeemaker which is, unfortunately, single voltage.  It's really spoiled me with its practically instant gratification and no waste.   In the greater scheme of things, it's just "stuff" and a reduction of "stuff" in my life has to be good. 

1 comment:

  1. Be aware that till you pass the 90 day probation period, they can withdraw your visa and send you home. Has happened to other at Kaust during the start up phase. Don't buy a car, etc till you are past the 90 window.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete